"the past can hurt,but the way i see it,you either run from it or learn from it."

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Don't teach, inspire.

I think it is safe said that I have all intention to write up something on this blog site of mine, but the very minute I start typing, all the ideas just vanishes. I'm not sure where it went though, but i'm pretty sure it's somewhere. I just have to search a little harder for it. =.=

Anyways, today's the 16th of May which marks the date where teachers are celebrated in the means of thanking them for teaching us. But really, other than teaching us, there are a lot more to thank them for. The proverb "A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others." is not just words said for no apparent reason. It's something you probably shall have pondered about the minute you feel your teacher's worthless because it's obvious that they're not.

You see, studying TESL has somehow brought my thinking to look upon things a little differently than I did before. I used to hate school and some of the teachers were my worst enemy, despite the fact that a lot of them, especially in my primary school time were the reason i'm able to be where I am today, regardless of the smallest effort they have made. I believe in one thing, the dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, and sometimes inevitably they'll have to poke you with a sharp stick called "truth", now you might not like that, but when the future comes around and you see yourself being up there because of the curveball thrown years before, that's when you'll be thankful.

When I grow up, I do not want to be a teacher who just knows a student by who they are outside, I want to know them inside out. I do not want to be the person responsible of creating their image, but I want to be the person who helps to create their image. Being able to teach them not just what they have to know, but what they should know is a lifetime dream. At the end of the day, I hope i'll be a teacher who gives the students something to bring back and think of besides homeworks. Because at the end of the day, a teacher is a profession that teaches all other profession. The failure of my future students would mean the show of mistakes I had done in teaching them before.

I think I have every reason to thank my teachers since I was in Kindergarten up till i'm in Form 5. Why? Because without whom I believe I won't be who I am today and where I am today. For making someone who very much hates school somehow able to finish it. The main reason, I believe is because of the teachers I had then. Of course people varies from time to time, but being able to grasp a student like me, who have no interest at all in studying requires more than just effort and patience, it requires a whole-hearted passion. And those are teachers I had then, full of passion. I hope one day i'll grow up to be at least half the people I've met today.

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
-Henry Brooks Adams-

With that said, thank you dear teachers for taking these little strangers into your lives and making us a part of it. Sharing with us what a lot others can't and for defending us against our own personal influences. Thank you for letting us see what's not to be seen without your presence and thank you for having the passion of putting us where we are today. We have every reason to thank you for every single ways that you've affected us. Thank you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment